Thursday, September 24, 2009

How brown was my chicken*

A chicken, two heads of garlic, cloves separated, a bunch of Long Island grapes, some cut up red potatoes, terrace thyme and tarragon inside, 2 cups of dry white vermouth, salt etc. Put in pot with lid and cover, in oven of 400'F/200'C. 1 hour and a quarter-ish. Take off lid for 20 minutes to brown. The side effect will be the brown-spattering of the pot-sides that you see above, which you should scrape down by sloshing the juices over them, and scratching with a wooden spoon. No metal on your le Creuset, please.

Toast some hole-y bread and put a slice in the bottom of a bowl. Spoon the chicken and juice and potatoes and soft garlics and grapes on top.

Accompany with a salad of North Fork mizuna and fresh North Fork corn. Mizuna is a bit of a wuss and needs a gentle vinaigrette. I added some cream to mine.

* How green was my valley?

7 comments:

  1. wow..Marie...that looks so good..and I bet it smelled so good too !

    And..YES ! that chicken WAS brown.

    Beautiful !

    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, this looks delish. not only are you a master gardener, you are an amazing chef too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely DELICIOUS! Perfectly brown and just the way I like it. Fall roasted chicken...that's what I'll be cooking this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cooking makes my knees week same as when maxine and she reads don estorbo's musings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie - thank you - thank you! I made this tonight and it far exceeded my expectations. Absolutely delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmmm. I suppose that Senor Estorbo received a few pieces of this succulent bird?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.