Saturday, May 10, 2008

Procrastination


I have one project for this weekend: design a garden. A particular garden. I've been delaying and delaying.

I have done all my laundry (I should have done it yesterday), even the esoteric, wash-by-hand stuff, like the crochet dress that needs to be squeezed out and laid flat just so. The two black cashmere sweaters.

I have been out to find an antifungal treatment for the rose. I did not find it. Instead I bought fancy tuna from Sahadis. At $6 a can it is a splurge (for tuna)and I'm not convinced it's that much better than other Spanish/olive oil brands. But it made me feel better. I stuffed it into a pita with feta and cherry tomatoes and Italian parsley and some sherry vinegar and pepper and wolfed it. Delicious.

I have vacuumed the apartment. I made cookies. That was last night. When I should have been doing laundry. I also watched two episodes of Daniel Deronda, instead of one, astonished and happy to find another George Eliot on instant Netflix.

Listening now to Joan Sutherland I have only just discovered the provenance of the Woody Woodpecker song: Meyerbeer's Les Huguenots - the aria O beau pays de la Touraine. Wow. Why did I never notice it before. Because I never had a garden to design at the same time, probably.

The duvet is out in what sun there is, airing. I'm reading The Sheltering Sky and am thinking what a good disinfectant the sun is. Not that my duvet needs disinfecting! But there's almost nothing nicer than getting into a fresh-smelling, clean air and sunlight bed. A small and special pleasure.

I've pretty much run out of things to do. But! There's the new smoke alarm to install. It involves drilling, which I like doing. Maybe I'll save it as a reward.

Maybe I'll have another cookie. I don't even eat cookies. But these are the spicy raisin bars I made last week, too, and these I eat. I could/should garden, but I'm not allowed to until I have this garden on paper. Oh boy.

Maybe I should clean out the fridge.

I'm scared.

2 comments:

  1. Well procrastination makes for very nice tuna can pictures... Mustard can wait. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still say I need an accident to happen to the mustard.

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.