Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday, Muggy Sunday


Airconditioning makes bedroom cool. I love airconditioning. The best thing about weekends. Long stay in bed with breakfast and book. Local baguette, French butter, Swedish jam and Danish coffee. Portuguese book.


Last night, after supper at Robin des Bois with Donnie (provenance the Bronx, not Brooklyn - if you've been following; now in Miami Beach and upstate on the Hudson where he lives on a hill in a stone house, prunes his pear and cherry trees and washes dishes in a birdbath)...anyhoo, after supper, or because of it, in their lovely little back courtyard, I promised myself that this morning I would Buy A Plant for the terrace. Wanting an annual vine like mandevilla, and having executed my clematis, I went to GRDN on Hoyt Street, a beautiful little shop with well-considered garden gift-things, cut flowers and a very well-chosen collection of perennials, shrubs and vines out back. No mandevilla, but I found a new thing, this Veronicastrum virginicum. It's tall and flowers from spring to fall, so suits me perfectly. It's a little like agastache and has leaves a lot like the South African wild dagga.


With four F-16's roaring low overhead (whyyyyyy?), I removed my potted plant from its plastic only to find it killing itself with its roots. Bad Grower - I was going to give him a plug, but not now. So I chopped the worst off and planted it...we'll see what happens. I suspect it grows fast and furiously.


There it is...

And more Abraham Derby, with a coleus called Merlot in the background. Very predictable name. Jose, at work, christened it Coleus Midnight Prowler. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.