Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Radishes - it's time

 

I love radishes.

They have a remarkable affinity for eggs - high on my list of Loved Things. Also, toast. (Perhaps everything has an affinity for toast?)

They were the first vegetable I ever grew, as a very small person living in Bloemfontein, in the heart of South Africa. So there is that, too. 

In our Cobble Hill days (the terrace of the original 66 square feet size) I raised them on our so-called roof farm - a collection of pots where fava beans, peas, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and raspberries grew. And this year I will sow them again, this time in the windowboxes on our Windsor Terrace...terrace (the neighborhood name makes its Instagram hashtag a cinch - #thewindsorterrace). 

It's been years since I grew and harvested my own radishes, so recently I spoke to two vegetable gardeners - Hemalatha Gokhale and Randi Rhoades - whose work I admire a lot, and listened to their radish-growing wisdom, for a story for Gardenista. You will find it in this link: Radishes: Early, Easy, Delicious.

_______________

4 March - my NYBG Foraging Class

4 comments:

  1. I love radishes, too. Sliced to wafer transparency or munched like a stick of rock. And I LOVE that nasturtium dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radishes??? I like radishes but where's the blogpost about Nkwe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radishes!!! I love radishes too. They go with nearly every dish you can think of. I will be sowing some this weekend for a early harvest. If you have not tried growing radish silique, you have to try. It makes for wonderful preserve and the plant is rather pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.