Monday, February 20, 2023

Nkwe Pirelli - a tale told in parts

Meet Nkwe Pirelli, King of String. King of Prrp. King of Peep. And the cat-formerly-known-as-Percy. Also Inky.

It's complicated.

I met him about four weeks ago at my friend Serena's house, where I was delivering duck soup to nourish her new knee after surgery. Last summer I spent some time visiting her two cats - black-and-white Susie, and tabby Tiger - to entertain them while she traveled, and to water her garden during New York's months-long drought. During the soup visit, I thought that the kitty at my feet was Susie, at first glance. Black and white. Then I looked again. About twice Susie's size. "This is Percy," Serena said, "Susie's kitten! He's two!" I sat down, and Percy jumped onto my lap, where he began purring. I made appreciative noises. He made air buns. "You should have him!" said Serena. I ignored her, assuming her pain medication was talking. 

A few days later, still thinking about this confident cat, I suddenly wondered whether she really wanted a home for him. I messaged her. "Don't give him to anyone else!" The Frenchman and I had a Big Talk. I visited then-Percy again. Serena showed me videos of the little black-and-white and also grey kittens that Susie, a feral cat, had reared outside her window, in the street - Serena had fed them, and adopted Susie. She gave me what contact details she could for Patti, a cat rescuer who, she said, had spirited the kittens away for care, and who had also taken Percy for a vet visit (I wanted vet records, and was worried about feline HIV). I wasn't sure where Percy had been in the interim. 

I messaged Patti, who said emphatically that no, she had not spirited away a bundle of kittens, but that she knew Percy, who was in fact not Percy, but Inky. And that she had given Inky into Sassee's care. 

To be continued...

______________

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh....what a sweetheart! Truly, a Royal Presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oh hurray! You without a cat just isn't right. I first started following you because Don Estorbo caught my attention somehow. He was enchanting. Cant wait to get to know whateveryouendupcallinghim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Assuming her pain medication was talking”🤣. I also started following you years ago because of Don Estorbo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinah shared your post with me. Such wonderful news! Hoping you and Mr. Beence find it in your hearts to adopt this fine fellow. <3
    ~ Kelii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keli'i!!! Don't worry, he has been adopted by us and we love him. His origin-story is just twisty and turny xxxx

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.