Sunday, February 3, 2019

Aperol Spritz


Despite my predilection for liquid and botanical alchemy, I am not a day drinker. Alcohol in the middle of the day cuts my legs, as the Frenchman would say, and makes me lethargic. And I hate taking naps. But when I left Cape Town many years ago, the household tradition embraced wine in the middle of the day, with lunch. It was a habit that took years for me to shake. It be shaken, now, with a cocktail in the evening and glass of wine with dinner. So when I return to the domestic stomping grounds I tend to get funny looks when I wave away the proffered bottle at lunch. But because the home tradition lives sturdily on, I adjust in order to be companionable and not the freak daytime tee-totaler. And I drink my body weight in water.

Still, the lighter, the better.

While I have the tendencies of an alchemist - brewing vermouth, waiting for vinegars to form from fermented cordials, infusing hooch with wild fruits and herbs, mixing up new cocktails - sometimes, the pouring of a classic is a quiet relief. Enter the Aperol Spritz.

It was a new drink for my mom on a balmy, blue-sky, Cape Town Sunday. The bitterness in Aperol comes from quinine, derived from a species of Cinchona. It is low in alcohol, and dashed into sparkling wine (traditionally prosecco, although here we used Graham Beck Brut - a sparkling wine made from a pinot noir-chardonnay blend, like Champagne). With a squirt of sparkling water, it is a wonderful drink - no invention required.

And no nap required.

__________________



3 comments:

  1. Wish i could catch your love of alchemy. When i read your instructions it sounds so wonderful, but somehow i never manage to get the ingredients together. Too lazy for science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - the bitterness also comes from gentian (Gentiana lutea), and some gentians contain extremely bitter compounds. /Lena

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could write like you. sorry about your dad.

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.