Friday, May 15, 2015

Green


The best of Now -  a Northeastern spring - on a plate.

These are just-blanched wood nettles, on the left. When I pick them I lop off just the top two pairs of leaves, where the stalk is still very tender. Yes, they are very prickly. After 2-3 minutes in boiling water the stings dissolve and the stem is tender enough to eat. Then I refresh in cold water, to keep the colour.

On the right, very beautiful New Jersey asparagus.

They are destined to be soup, a sipped snack for a walk in the woods on Saturday

There is one more spring walk on my list for the city, midweek in Prospect Park, on the 27th, with wild botanical cocktails. Yes, I am still figuring out how exactly to equip my backback. Two cocktails' mixings, glasses, ice...

Head-scratch.

_________________________________


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous.
    I wish the botanical walks you do were a thing in my area (central MD).

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.