Saturday, May 17, 2008

More plants

Never shop when plant hungry.

I went looking for lavender. I didn't find any. But I did find gorgeous orange flowers atop slender, autumn anemone-like stems: Geum. Got two. Plus the blue catnip that was displayed in front of them and that threw the orange into deeper contrast. And two little creeping veronicas, one of my favourite groundcovers, or "spillers". And two agastache (hyssop) that promised hot pink flowers - they are usually blue. It smells wonderful, too: lemon and mint. Plus good-looking parsley and oregano.

Why buy in two's when I like odd numbers? Teeny space. And I can make two look like one.



The little nursery at GRDN.

Geum coccineum "Borissii", native to Turkey and the Balkans. Another reason to like it.


Veronica "Waterperry" - much hardier than it looks. It'll make it through winter here and will cascade over the front of window boxes if you ask it to. Needs sun.

What I did: took out all the arugula and mizuna and planted the parsley and geum in those big zinc containers. Threw some snails off the terrace, wheeee. Repotted the fig. I had to drill drainage holes in the new pot, but that's always fun. The parsley flopped the minute it was planted - I'd had to tear the little plants apart, their roots were so knitted together, but once the sun was no longer on them they perked up immediately. And I got rid of the gelsemium. Shan't miss it.


My original, nameless catnip, still startlingly blue and beloved of bees.




Below, the new catnip, Nepeta "Little Titch" soon had these big guys dive-bombng it. They dive-bombed my head, too, thinking perhaps, that I was a giant coppery flower.


Icebergs still opening fast. The best part about having them is that I have cut flowers for inside the apartment now.



New Dawn has three open flowers and several hundred to follow.


Estorbo had his post-breakfast milk al fresco and dozed off on his plexipad. He hates gravel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.