Monday, January 17, 2022

The wild and the tamed and the diverting

From the photo files, where I am making progress, in terms of sorting, some tidbits:

Last October, in a shoreline forest on Long Island, we found a very wonderful chicken of the woods log. We took home plenty and some of it is still stashed (after cooking) in the freezer for picnics to come. The mushroom works very well in portable hand pies.


These nasturtium capers were from green seeds I collected in my mom's Cape Town garden in February 2020. I lacto-fermented them with 2% of their weight in salt for about 20 days, then pickled them in a vinegar-brine. Here, they were nibbled on the October 2021 terrace, atop a petite Martini. They are rather good. (And I brought back a new batch, a couple of weeks ago; nasturtiums grow like weeds in that Mediterranean climate.)


Last year I bought two tea plants. I clicked a mousepad, and a few days later they were at the door. They are Camellia sinensis, and they bloom in autumn. Their buds began to open in October and the small, anemone-like flowers are lovely, lasting about two days. The little shrubs kept blooming right into winter. On the cold branches in January there are still buds, and the leaves look dark and healthy. I collected many new green shoots which I dried, and at some point - soon - I must grind them to make my very own green tea, or matcha powder. I have no idea if I like green tea. I shall find out. 

The plant in the background, lower left, is another sort of tea if you like common names: labrador tea, a species of Rhododendron. It should bloom in April, if all is well. 

And you never know. All may be well. And if it isn't, we'll make another plan.
____________________

I'm also here, @66squarefeet

6 comments:

  1. After reading one of your posts I almost inevitably end up with a 'must try' and 'must grow' list. This time it's a tea plant (if it survives on your NY balcony, surely it will survive in my Zone 7b climate in a sheltered spot) and Nasturtium capers. And I also come away with a dose of optimism. So much needed. Yes, we can always make another plan. Bon courage with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're 7b, too, but it's always hard to know in a city with microclimates and the general heat island effect. Still, pots are always more extreme. But the tea plants are super-hardy, allegedly down to 4b. So you'll be fine.

      Delete
  2. The camellias have me dreaming of spring! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're reminded me to visit the camellias at the BBG...

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking of trying the Camellias, too. Do you think they will stand the heat and humidity of central virginia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will probably do very well. I am sure local nurseries have many to choose from.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.