Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Summer, all of a sudden


From a cold picnic with hot soup beside a Northeastern mountain stream (my last post, dated November 15th), to a summer kitchen in Cape Town.  A bunch of sweetpeas from the garden, where my mom asked her gardener to remove the almost-spent plants to make way for the burgundy sunflowers I sowed for her several weeks ago, and that are now ready to be planted out.

I touched down at Cape Town International on December 2nd, on United's first direct flight from Newark, New Jersey.

In the last few days the first figs of a South African summer have arrived in supermarkets, and I am making good use of them. The best way to eat a fig is raw and ripe, or perhaps sliced into an early-evening apéritif.

And now I have some green (unripe) figs to preserve, to take back with me when I head home to Brooklyn.

____________

(I am usually here at Instagram)

2 comments:

  1. I can almost smell the sweet peas from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have stayed somewhere a goodly time when you can plant out something that you sowed at the beginning. When she looks at the sunflowers your mother will still see you long after you have returned to NY. The taste of home-made unripe fig jam... discovered in Turkey years ago and never forgotten. Bon voyage de retour et bon courage.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.