Saturday, January 23, 2016

Blizzard in the hood


Against doctor's orders I waded out this afternoon into the snow with the doctor Frenchman. For once, I caved and allowed my person to be encased in his hi-tech snowgear, which is lightweight, wind- and waterproof, instead of my usual cashmere layers and coat, in which it is hard to move. Glad I did. We walked into a blizzard!


The world was beautiful, and quite empty. Court Street, below, is a main thoroughfare and had been recently ploughed.


Heading down to the Gowanus Canal on 3rd Street the only vehicle moving belonged to the local FDNY's fire chief. A travel ban has been issued.


The movie magic of walking in the middle of the street.


Why I wanted to see the Gowanus, I am not sure. I just did. By now our faces were wet and the snow was flying straight at us.


We turned around and headed home, cameras tucked under our jackets in a vain effort to protect the lenses.


Up on 2nd Street the snow lay thick. By now about 16" had fallen.


Kanzan cherries bending low, below.


Smith Street, below, is typically jammed with traffic on a Saturday.


In the snow, everyone looks at everyone else, and smiles. That is not the way New Yorkers usually interact.


Final stretch, back on our block, below.


...and the reason the travel ban was issued. Whiteout:


30 minutes later we were home, and I was hustled into a hot shower, before downing a cup of thyme tea.

While we've had some snowy winters in the previous two seasons, this is the most accumulation I have seen since 2006 (26"), the year I started to take pictures, and pre-blog.

Tomorrow the sky will be blue, they say, and the world will be lovely. We are city dwellers, at home, with no need to be on the road, or at work,  or to bring the sheep in. So we stay indoors in comfort and look out at the changed world, and plan dinner (tartiflette, with truffle), and hope only that the Internet does not go down.

Because that would be a real catasrrophe.

26 comments:

  1. There is something magical about that "We're all in this together," isn't there? However, I cant help feeling bemused as I observe from Alaska where it's an unseasonable 35 degrees and raining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Your weather would please us immensely if it were here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure if the storm after Christmas of 2010 was bigger - maybe you were in South Africa. We got stranded for several extra days in Missouri before we could get back to NJ.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorting through my messy photo files the other day, at 34 deg C ...I found one of Henry Street that looks like these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Pam, I also wondered about the 2010 blizzard. They wouldn't even name them back then. I'd dug an igloo for the kitty and was very sorry Marie could not have seen it.

    Well, as the doctor here, I hope we don't have a relapse of my patient tomorrow because I wouldn't mind going back out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe that blizzard was as big (as of this afternoon)...let's see!

      Delete
    2. Awww, I remember Estorbo's igloo.

      Delete
    3. We could have made him such a good igloo this time! ^^

      Delete
  6. One of our kids is in Brooklyn, another in DC, another in SW CT...all are safe and loving the snow. We come from strong stock, the kind that loves snow. Kid #4 is in Portland OR and jealous, I think, of his siblings. We are here in VT, quite bewildered that we are not part of the snow festival. Love your pics, love the quiet, amiable blanket that comes with a serious snowstorm. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was looking forward to seeing Jonas through your camera lens. Thanks so much for the views of New York. This time the blizzard is not going to make it to Ontario, and although I am happy about that there is something so nice about storm camaraderie. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily - there should be more - and better - pics from the Frenchman, soon.

      Delete
  8. So bizarre that here in the mountains of Upstate NY we have yet to see even a flake of snow! I love seeing NYC through your lens....I spent most of my life there and although I could never go back I still feel it in my heart. Stay warm and bundle up - the doc has ordered it so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, very odd. We envy you your mountain life, you know...(except for the ticks!) :-)

      Delete
  9. It is beautiful but Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was an every day thing I think I'd get mighty tired of post-snowfall slush - but this is wondrous to us.

      Delete
  10. Oh Marie, these photos are stunning, truly wonderful. I remember a couple of those events from my way-back early youth in Washington Heights and loved the quiet & the wonder. Ironically here yesterday, we had temps up to 64 degrees in town, full sun, no wind, no rain. What an odd reversal. Today you have sun (yes?) & temps in the 30s & can venture out again, if you like. Thank you for these wondrous photos which convey the mood perfectly.
    Cheers as always,
    Diane in Denver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane - thank you! Yeah, it's been weird all round, hasn't it? We've been eyeing Colorado, dreaming of houses in the hills (probably just a dream...).

      Delete
    2. Hi back Marie, Unfortunately for buyers, houses here in CO have gotten very expensive. There are some rural areas that are exceptions, of course, but usually they are quite remote or have other disadvantages, etc. If you two are planning a visit here at some point, please do let me know. Cheers,
      Diane in Btoncos-crazed Denver

      Delete
    3. Oops, "Broncos," of course. Duh!

      Delete
  11. Thanks goodness the Frenchman made you dress properly for your adventure! Here in Minnesota we have a saying, "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing" LOL We sing the praises of Gore-Tex and Thinsulate. And after the adventure, there is nothing better than coming home to a hot shower, a tasty warm beverage and safety. And lucky you, truffles. Almost makes it worth it doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've been converted. So much more practical. And the snow was TOTALLY worth it. Snow plus truffle. Best weekend ever.

      Delete
  12. "usual cashmere layers..." wow, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big shopper. But I can't wear wool - my skin itches. And I buy - sadly, mind you, because it is such lovely stuff - the cheapest cashmere available and always on sale. This year it was a Christmas gift. Now hustle the sarcasm off somewhere else.

      Delete
  13. Thank you very much for this story and the gorgeous photographs, Marie (and Vince). It was rather hilarious watching network television (particularly CCN) report on the blizzard last evening, as the roving reporters and anchors searched furiously for any tragic (or at least dire) story they could find and, in NYC, found instead all kinds of merry makers cavorting in the snow. As I mentioned in a comment on Vince's blog, our son in Fort Greene (with the luxury of not having to go to work this weekend) was enjoying every minute in the quiet outside, playing in the snow with his neighbors. Hoping that you feel better very soon, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are people out who have some serious fun with that snow in NYC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRv7G7WpOoU - watch it completely til the end! Wouldn't the Frenchman love to do something like this? Greetings from the snowless Vancouver Island. I so miss the snow, and the Central European winters.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.