Saturday, May 31, 2008

Friday evening on the terrace

...or Roses with Drink and Cat. Not my roses this time, but from one of my favourite gardens, and one fo the first I designed in the city. More Abraham Darby, and another, also a David Austin, but I forget which - with a very intense colour before it opens and then pales a little. Heavily scented.

It was a calm Friday evening, and this Saturday morning the air rattles with barking dogs. I actually left a note (signed, with my address) on thick, lovely card, on the door of the house across the way asking them please not to let their big white dog with the spot on his head bark out of the windows, which he does at midnight or 7am or inbetween. I think this is their revenge. As Estorbo says, Dargs, who needs them? The barking, the barking...



3 comments:

  1. That's a really stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. After staring at those roses for a long time, I finally clicked. They remind me of a similar low bouquet, in another life, mostly red roses, I couldn't say what kind, slightly smaller but shaped very much alike, very wide and somehow short petals, in Antibes. The vase was an antique copper toilet float ball, polished, cut horizontally for filling with water and its top pierced with as many holes as there were flowers...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.