Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The small things


There is a shop on Wolfe Street in Cape Town that I love: L'Orangerie. The last time I was there I spied a vintage rhino watercolour print, applied to a placemat. There was an elephant, a hippopotamus. I wanted them. But I needed six. A sales assistant found three more animals for me at another branch, nearby. But by the time we had had all our other gifts wrapped a phone call came in saying that a woman in the other shop had snapped up all MY animals. Gr!

But 18 hours later, Jess, the sales assistant, called to say that she secured more animals from the person who makes the beautiful mats, and the Frenchman went to pick them up for me on the day we left town. Now I have the springbokkies above, a sable antelope and a kudu, too. I love them.

The proudly displayed shampoo is the haul I just brought back from Whole Foods. I can't find it anywhere else in the hood, so I stocked up. Giovanni. It's nice.

Glass, one of six given to me many years ago by my friend Bevan. In it? Cider.

Coaster, silver and glass  - from a local junk shop.

There endeth the post about Objects as Pleasure.

6 comments:

  1. And I thought I was the only one who loved this shampoo! I have to do the same thing, buying as much as I can carry. Yes, Giovanni is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that my reasons for liking it are very shallow. I love the packaging (why are most shampoo bottles so hideous?), but also the botanicals, in terms of good smells.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this shampoo - I shall have to do a little google search!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May we see all of those prints? What I can see of the springbokkie print in this post looks beautiful. I understand the pleasure an object can bring. For me, it almost never correlates with how much (if anything) it cost. Enjoying a lovely clear and not too cold afternoon, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll arrange them all for a group portait. I LOVE them. And am trying to find out who the artist was (and the shop is close-lipped about the person who made these; I suppose in case she is poached by someone else).

      Delete
  4. Your shampoo is also available at the Park Slope Food Coop in case that is a reason (aside from amazing produce) to join.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.