Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Back to the garden


I have been trying to redress the wrongs of months of minimal gardening.

On Monday I turned in the manuscript of Forage, Harvest, Feast - the new book that I have been working on for, oh, some time, now. Until I see it again, after the first round of editing, I get to do the things for which there has been no time. I have missed gardening.

Today I pulled out some crazy damn morning glories and hacked back dead things and cut back nettles (allowed to grow but setting seed), calamintha and agastache. I pulled dahlias and transplanted hordes of volunteering thimbleweed (Anemone virginiana). If you need a plant that gives back, that's the one. And I planted cool weather edibles even though the tropical storm weather has brought humidity back after some freakishly autumnal and clear August weeks.

The mosquitoes were still biting. The striped, daytime invaders. But I hope that when I return from South Africa at the end of October I will find peas, and arugula and bok choy and lettuces in the vegetable patch And no more mosquitoes.

______________________




3 comments:

  1. I miss gardening. Now, since developing rheumatoid arthritis, I mostly dabble. Still we had a bumper crop of tomatoes and I'm over planning for next year already :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the book - know it was a heap of work! And glad you're going to see your family soon. And, so happy you've got a little time to get your hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on turning in your manuscript! I know what it can be like to have to spend months focusing on all that it takes to write a research-intense book, and how wonderful it can be to have time for gardening thereafter, and I am very happy for you. When do you go to South Africa? P.S. I'm sorry to hear that morning glories have invaded your garden. Is your soil moist enough that it is almost fun to pull them out?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.