Pages

▼

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Who comes when you call?


This friendly FDNY company belongs to Engine 279/Ladder 131, from Red Hook. 

When you are looking (desperately) for the good things about a country (this country) you are reminded quickly, at least in New York City, that competent help arrives fast, when you call. There are caveats, I know - who you are, where you are. 

This morning I stepped out to have coffee on the terrace under a deep blue October sky. Strong smell of gas. I went to the other side of the apartment, lifted a window and sniffed. Gas. Very strong. I called 911. Yes, said the FDNY operator I was patched through to, there was a "major" gas leak on our block and that the FDNY was en route.

Soon, I counted at least 10 engines. Our block was closed off. Buildings behind the company above were evacuated. Cars were towed. Dozens of fire fighters stood about. Neighbors gathering on the sidewalks met each other for the first time. I went back upstairs and readied our go-bag, packed our passports, and got the cat carrier out. The cat snored peacefully.

The pneumatic drilling that woke us yesterday - one hole right outside our house, one up the block, belonged to a plumbing company whose work this morning ruptured a a gas line. Now, the plumbers were sitting around, looking sheepish.

Three hours later the leak has been repaired and most of the fire people have departed, leaving just a couple of trucks. There are many more holes in the street and sidewalk. The gas company and the woeful plumbing company workers are still here.  Cars blocking a fire hydrant have been ticketed.

And life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use your name when commenting. (And comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam)