Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Shiso thirsty

It is hot in the city today, and I can't wait to dip into one of these.

I grew many shiso plants last year (and wrote about the herb for Gardenista), but forgot to order seed, this spring. Luckily, one dropped seed germinated and now we have a modest crop of the fragrant leaves. They have an affinity for gin. I crush them a little before adding the gin, and topping with tonic water. A few Persian cucumber slices macerated in the liquor for five minutes before the tonic is poured are a very good addition.

Later, for supper, there will be grassfed beef shortibs marinated in soy and lime juice, grilled over coals, rested, sliced, and wrapped in a choice of shiso or American burnweed (Erechtites hieraciifolius) leaves. Because there is still some forage left in this forager.


Book an Autumn Walk


  1. Sounds wonderful Marie! My husband says the problem with G&Ts is they are so good and easy to drink that you are sloshed before you know it... :) I don't know, I am the Missouri wine drinker! I am following you on Instagram and I am dlk underline clickpix. I post on FB and my blog as Pix Under the Oaks. I am not looking for a follow I just wanted you to know that Pix Under the Oaks and dlk underline cliclpix are the same person... from Missouri wine country... :) I love following you on IG, FB, and here at your blog! Enjoy your dinner!

  2. This is lovely! There's a nice pink drink to be made by boiling the leaves as well. I could find a few online, but it's basically boil, drain, add an acid, like lemon or lime.

  3. Oh my goodness - how did you manage just "one dropped seed"? For years running now, I have had forests and forests of shiso in pots on my terrace. I feel guilty about culling them, but can't come up with enough ways to consume the leaves, after exhausting all the traditional Vietnamese dishes. I have decided that in a few weeks, when they flower and seed, I will just need to be ruthless and pick the flowers. Last year there was an attempt at shiso flower ice cream - not bad, but not good for the waistline; may forgo this year....


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...