Saturday, February 14, 2015

Good, better, boerewors


It's not the prettiest picture (the smoke was very fragrant). But it was -6'C/21'F, plus some interesting wind chill, and I wasn't hanging around for longer than I had to. So,  Snap! and out of there to warm up inside.

This is the best - the best - batch of boerewors, yet, in my four years of tinkering with the recipe. First, it's amazing what a difference salt can make. I added some to my previous recipe. Also more coriander.

Then, almost by accident, I added a tablespoonful of baharat spice mix, because I had it left over from some killer meatballs whose Eastern Mediterranean flavour reminded me strongly and intriguingly of boerewors ('intriguingly' because it raises questions of provenance).

Most of the spices in baharat (and in the garam masala that I include, already) are identical to those in boerewors: coriander, black pepper, cloves, allspice, nutmeg; but their cardamom, cumin and cinnamon add new and entirely perfect twists. The next step for me, to simplify things, is to figure out exactly how much of each of those three is effectively being added, so that I can ditch those two mixes and just add the extra ingredients.

So, if you're as obsessed as we are (you can't be, I know) the recipe over at 66 Square Feet (the Food) has been updated. Again.

And there are some new pictures of nice butchers.

Killer sausages. The best, ever. Really.

2 comments:

  1. I'm toying with the idea, and man I can toy, of making my own. This region cannot make a proud sausage unless it's a brat. But I do like this "interesting" windchill. Interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.