Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring in Central Park


The serviceberries (Amelanchier spp., also called Juneberries, and shadblow - note to self, go to Chelsea Market to find shad!) in Central Park broke bud a few days ago. 


And these are the weeks of the Virginia bluebell (Mertensia virginica). 


True blue. By summer, they will have disappeared. Good companion plants for ferns.



In this wonderful patch they share space with May apples (Podopyllum peltatum) and the weedy lesser celandine (Ficaria verna), which has overrun this part of the North Woods; very pretty, but suffocating in its habit.


I was surprised by how many May apple patches I saw in this part of the park. Very nice.


In one spot it was losing a battle with mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), below - also very invasive. 


The trout lilies (Erythronium americanum) have opened. It still amazes me that one can see this collection of Northeast American natives in the city of 8.3-something million human beings. 


Drifts of violets. This was late in the afternoon, after rain, and there were very few people in the park.


The mystery rope nets, below.

In the winter I decided they were for erosion control. I doubt anyone thinks they could suppress the lesser celandine. I must find someone to ask.


This Saturday's walk, farther south,  in the Ramble, should be a good one...

More here: Spring ramble

5 comments:

  1. I've been to NYC exactly twice in my life and I'm not a forager, but your pictures of the wilder parts of the city are wonderful (and of course there's that cat), so I'm a loyal reader. I do wish you were on Instagram so that I could *heart* my favorite photos but too much social media is harmful to your health lol. Thanks for the lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to NY but I am sure Central Park in a sight to behold in spring. Thanks for sharing.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYC is a few weeks ahead of us here in Concord, Mass. My May apples have just broken through the ground. And, honestly, I'm quite worried -- though I think I have this same angst every April -- that a couple of my beloved perennials won't return this year after the extreme cold. Waiting for signs of my Japanese anemones and my false indigo....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spring photos are beautiful, thanks. Just barely spring here. Saskatoon berries! Although my father called them Juneberries and he was born and raised in Saskatchewan. Do the ones blooming in Central Park have a fairly "vigorous" scent like the ones that grow here? - sort of honey/cat pee.

    jake

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a bit behind NY for signs of spring here in Toronto but every day a little more. Love your photos !

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.