Saturday, June 29, 2013

Planting to eat


Our lunchtime radishes in Cape Town, today, fresh from the pot where they were pulled. The secret with radishes, for me, is to forget that they are there. Plant them, walk away. Don't look back. Come back in six weeks.

The other night we ate wonderful rainbow chard (South Africa is the rainbow nation, you know) from the garden - torn from the midribs and sauteed/steamed briefly. Arugula makes it into salads - though I nearly decimated my mom's patch. It grows in almost full shade. So does the chervil. Good lessons.

In Brooklyn, the Frenchman is gardening. Watering, weeding, picking blueberries and black raspberries. He's leaving the fava beans for me. I will dry the seeds and plant them in the fall, and maybe give some away. I am not sure how the fig cuttings are doing. I must ask. If they are well I will pot them up and get in touch with the short list of people who asked for one. As for the fig...well.

Let's just wait and see.


2 comments:

  1. Not sure how the fig cuttings are doing, to be honest. One has made two leafs, the other is mute. The fig tree seems happier, lots of leafs, two horizontal main branches in a flat V, like an old TV antenna...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.