Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Flowers till frost


Corydalis lutea, growing behind the little violets on the floor of the terrace. The corydalis grew from a seed - it can self seed aggressively - shed by a plant I bought two years ago and which expired (in the New Dawn's pot, I think) and I have waited two years for it to grow big enough to be interesting. This is its year. I'll probably snip off the flowers before they set seed, to save myself some future weeding. I like its feathery foliage and the fact that it will bloom almost till frost -the bright yellow flowers resemble its cousin's, bleeding heart (Dicentra...).

It grows very effectively at the BBG, in a rock wall. I grew it in a wall, too, once, in my only other American garden, wrapped by narrow, high walled brick, in Old Town, Alexandria. About a million years ago.

Perhaps it took me this long to want it, again.

5 comments:

  1. I had C "Blue Panda" and tended it lovingly.It still succombed to sub-tropical summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked a couple of these out of the garden that I am working on. I must like the weedy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a much smaller purple cousin of this in our garden in Germany when I was a child, picked from a forest floor somewhere in Thuringia on a family vacation. I have never tried any Corydalis since, always assuming that they were too delicate for Midwestern summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try again...they are not mad about humidity, though this one toughed out DC summers. And some species are summer-dormant.

      Delete
  4. http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?tDJDubb

    Hi Marie,

    Have you seen the Monsanto link above!!

    Lisa, London

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.