Thursday, April 12, 2012

Scented climber - bees beware


Noticed for the first time on a wrought iron balustrade in front of a Henry Street brownstone: gorgeous Gelsemium sempervirens. Carolina jasmine. Sempervirens indeed - having made it through a mildish winter. Deadly poison if you are a tempted and hungry honey bee. All parts of the plant are highly toxic.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh - I didn't know it was deadly poisonous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poisonous, but a homeopathic remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah mine has expired. Deadly to itself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poisonous? I had no idea. We have a beautiful specimen climbing a lamp post in the front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine went with Jane's but I do miss it. For two weeks every spring it was glorious!

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...