Saturday, October 1, 2011

Bayberry martini


This is the colour gin turns after three months of bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) leaf infusion. But I left it too long - it had turned a little medicinal for my taste. What's the point of killing the juniper in the gin, after all? But we're on the right track. I find that I prefer the green fruit of the bayberries; it's possible that the wax on the mature fruit lends a bitter edge. The mature leaves are delicious, and I'm still cooking with them, using them as one would fresh bay (Laurus nobilis). In spring I was able to shred and chop the tender leaves finely using them as fresh rubs for anything that went on the barbecue or under the grill...

1 comment:

  1. That colour is great though! I make sloe gin, a sumptuous deep red, perfect for drinking in the festive season :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.