Thursday, April 7, 2011

Horseradish at last


Today, late back in the hood after having stepped inadvertently onto the wrong train at Broadway Lafayette (WHAT was the J doing on the F platform???) and still lugging my heavy bag of pig cheeks and short ribs bought during an impulse-stop at Pino's (Ciao! Grazie mille! Arrivederla!) on Sullivan Street, where I'd been visiting a nearby roof garden that needs a new plan, I spied the full box of roots at Mr Lee's.

Vince is home tonight from Montreal and I had been planning onion soup - he has a cold, but now I have pig cheeks simmering, with lots of whole garlic cloves, onion, carrots, some Madeira, and I am making raw green sauce of herbs; and there will be a small bowl of finely grated horse radish which goes straight up your nose in an intoxicating wasabi heatwave.

Happy April.

7 comments:

  1. Now that's a sinus opener!

    Vince knows he's back home for sure.

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeks :-) Happy April indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!

    Every year about this time I wonder why I didn't grow my own horseradish for Passover. And then I forget again until next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pig cheeks, wonderful!

    Horseradish, that'll clear a cold. Creamed horseradish and good beef, of which you have some of the best in the world over in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...
    Wheeee!


    How is your Maman, V?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad used to grow horseradish and we all longed for him to give us a jar of the newly-made batch. I am envious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm growing horse radish for the first time this year, and I'm hoping it grows well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.