Thursday, June 24, 2010

Roses at the BBG

Above: Dublin Bay planted behind catnip.

June is rose month, of course, and we have six days to go. Here are some of the pictures I've been taking at the BBG's Cranford Rose Garden over the last few weeks. This week's baking temperatures in New York will frizzle a lot more petals, but if we snip fast enough, more buds will be - and are - pushing up. The bucketing of rain we had briefly on Tuesday will have helped, too.

Not every rose is ID'd here - like a drunk bee I tended to get carried away and repeatedly stuck my camera's nose into the flowers, sometimes forgetting to take a picture of the label with name. I'll update as I check on them on site.

6-25-10, 18h28: Er...just off the wires. Got an SOS from the curator who says many labels are not what they seem, rather, what she inherited. And she has kindly provided ID's and some explanations. Sarah is in the process of re-labeling the rose garden - not a small or quick or easy task - and many of the names I had below were...well: wrong. So here are the right ones, with some of Sarah's comments in italics.

Below, James Mitchell. Old and Dutch still life-worthy.

Below: it is very likely Pelisson or any other of the mosses that very much look the same. Or you could label it 'unidentified moss'

I have no idea what it could be and looked up every rose accessioned in that bed. None of them fit that rose and I know it well...I think it is probably an Austin shrub of some sort, as it is definitely a shrub and looks a great deal like 'Eglantyne'....again, sorry! I would feel secure calling it Eglantyne by photo.

Have to check the next three. But what gorgeous shapes.

Don't you want to just throw yourself into them and roll around?


Below: This is (I'm fairly certain because the sepals are so distinctive from other mosses) 'Crested Moss'.

Below: Betty White....so many Bettys...

Fruits of a deadheader's labors. I get through about 4 trashcansworth in a session. I find it incredibly satisfying. Manual labour for all.

'Flirtatious'.


Summer Snow.

Disclaimer: While I was mobbed on this day, early in my tenure, by children wanting petals, BBG protocol dictates that no petals or cuttings may be taken or given. Since then I have beaten small children off and denied them pretty petals. But I am sorry for it. They show a disarming curiosity about the flowers and I have enjoyed several pint-sized conversations about bees, flowers, bunnies, and had several offers of child labor-sized help.

Sarah's annual plantings have shot up.

Below, Golden Wings, one of my favourites. Saucer-sized blooms.

Easy Does It.

Probably a Clematis jackmanii.

Salpiglossus 'Royal Chocolate', below.

Salpiglossus 'Kew Blue'.

Really arresting annuals.

Rambler over one of the entrances. 'Silver Moon'.

Symphony.

Below: You wouldn't be far off from calling it 'Himalayan Musk Rose' or Rosa brunonii. This is probably the tag I will give it.

Paul Bocuse. One of my favourite chefs is one of the most gorgeous roses...

Dairy Maid.

Chicago Peace.

Carefree Delight.

Basye's Purple.

..closer up. The interiors of the new roses approach purple. Gorgeous.

The ladies who stroll...

This is the Knockout collection around the pond (yup, deadheading required). I am not a fan of Knockout roses.

But I love these, planted nearby. And for my mom, the white flowers are Oenothera speciosa 'Siskyou'.

Big white alliums in the northern border. Allium nigrum.

Water at the end of a hot day.

From the top.

8 comments:

  1. How many ways can one say "pink"? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been. Must go.

    Secrets on rose care? Black spot treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Would like to know why the kiddies can't take some petals home to Mommy, tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the tour. i love the shot of the bee with quite impressive saddlebags of pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this Vince's "old" camera ?
    Beautiful roses, beautiful pictures
    Where can I get seed of those white eschscholzias and is that nepeta the same as yours. I want seeeeeeed .........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just come home from some hot weather dead-heading with MORE pictures.

    Jane - le spray. Preventative is best. I'll post a recipe.

    Mountain Thyme - I was told it's so the other kids visiting en masse don't get jealous?

    Hen, you have lost me. Escholtzias, I had to look them up and found first an animal like a newt then possibly the flowers...do you mean from the photo with the pink lily? The ones that look a bit like white oenothera?

    I'll send you more pictures and I'll ask Sarah. Maybe she'll let me gather some seeeeed. We don't know which nepeta that is - I asked.

    The last three pictures were with Vince's big Canon - it looks like I used different film, doesn't it? No, most of the pictures are with my trusty little Canon, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh cruel denier of children! I hope you tell them no! then leave a big pile of petals on the ground as you turn your back on the kids and petals, both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Id say the escholtzia look-alike IS oenothera. But Escholtzia does come in a soft cream, if that helps.
    Rosa brunonii? Looks like it.

    All lovely pictures, Marie, with either camera.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...