Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our taxpayer money at work

I missed it! The NYC Parks' water truck came and watered the Median. Bother. I mean, Bother that I wasn't there with Le Camera. It isn't exactly precision watering, and I think the geraniums were a little shocked. But it's water. Nice NYC water, that I drink from the tap.

I think the amsonia will be open in a few days. Grass is slow, but growing, echinacea far from flowering but healthy, gaura putting on some growth, a few very small, still. Roses look happy, catnip about to bloom. When I changed out the two sick roses the other day, earthworms slithered away into their tunnels.
What a happy sight.

6 comments:

  1. Catnip. Time to take 'Storbie over for a field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful and more than satisfactory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Marie. A major improvement to that hood.
    Maybe they will get you to do the entire length of Houston. They need you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Storbie on a leash. Eenteresteen'! This IS his old hood you know...do you think he would recognize his old bodega? Or the site where the Chelsea Garden Centre used to be? where he used to catch mice and line them up in the morning?

    Hen! Thank you. You taught me everything xxx

    Lisa - thank you Ms Hound...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you get this kind of project going for the median planting in your city? I'd like to do something like this here in Nebraska but not sure who to share the idea with and get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen - that's a great idea.

    I started calling, beginning with the city's parks department. I started with a generic, listed number and slowly was given the right numbers to call. Eventually I was put in touch with the right person, who was happy to cooperate as all the plants and labour would be donated. They undertook to water (read blast with high pressure stream of aqua) once a week. As it turns out the promised labour did not see the project through, long term, for maintenance, and many of the plantings have died. So think long term, and think tough! Think salt on roads in winter. Think drought. But I do believe that there is a plant for every situation. You might also canvas local businesses for support/$'s. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.