Saturday, May 9, 2009

Elderflower Cordial

Flower Power: Chris, the office manager at HWV, made me a present of this delectable stuff on Friday, in time to celebrate a hopeful end to this phase of immigration frustration.

I have had elderflowers and berries on the brain for a while. And want to plant some of the native Sambucus americana in Le Park (what do I call it?...maybe we can even christen it whatever we like; haven't discuseed that yet). How's Le Park?

This cordial smells divine. No other way to describe it. One sniff and you smile. It is floral without being cloying. It is non alcoholic, and makes a lovely drink with bubbly water. But you know me. I had to add it to Prosecco.

Oh, yum.

Bottlegreen is based in the Cotswalds, England, and I cannot now imagine my sipping life without some elderflower syrup in the fridge. My bottle was bought a Dean and Deluca for $8.

End of infomercial. No, I was not sent free samples. But I was sent free samples of something else recently, and I am in a quandary. Advertizing. Is a small sample set worth my rave revue? Shall I set up a blind tasting? If I were sent a year's supply, oh yes, I would consider it.

I'll theenk.

6 comments:

  1. Le Park would be hilarious. It's either that or Kgalagadi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too can be had here in "God's Country"...the most beloved West Coast of BC...Vancouver...for a mere $4.99!!

    Sure you wouldn't like to rethink the possiblity of changing your adopted country of citizenship to Canada???

    As you know, we have many treasures to appreciate, other than cheaper Elderberry beverage!!

    You would bring a very definite grace, charm & indefinite style to Vancouver gardens & God knows we could use your talents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kgalagadi. brilliant.

    Camille - I love Vancouver. And thank you...in general though I find the cost of living similar, there. And it's hard to give up the kind of job I have here. For now we have to be pragmatic - and, well. New York's New York.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whilst searching for a recipe for Elderflower cordial I came across your site and felt huge nostalgia for the time I spent WWOOFing across Canada, ending up in Vancouver. What a lovely city and what a gorgeous country. I would so love to go back. In the meantime I shall go out walking in the English countryside of Sussex, where I live, pick my Elderflowers and think of my time in Canada.
    Enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - just had some Elderflower cordial and enjoyed it tremndously. Do you know if there is a supplier in South Africa that I can buy from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, South African - I do not, but the people might: http://www.mainingredient.biz/

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.