Saturday, November 22, 2008

Simplicity

I've been thinking about these paperwhites...and how they smell. It is a lovely scent, to me, an old one, from long ago, and it makes me feel that somehow things are going well. I spent all day with them, working on a garden design at home. I cut some of the stems a few days ago and put them in the bathroom, because they had become strong, but it was still a good smell.

I know that many people hate paperwhites. So it must be chemical. I hate the scent of Stargazers, which make me feel ill. And Lancome's Tresor, possibly the most poisonous perfume ever concocted. Makes me sick at 100 paces.

How can a narcissus be toxic to some and delicious to me? Our amygdala is ancient and records scents and their associations early. Can it be that happy memories can turn a bad smell good?

4 comments:

  1. Hm, I'd say that rather, bad memories turn a good smell bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skunks?

    Hmm, well stargarzers do have an unpleasant association, so...maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand the smell of Tresor either. Givenchy's Amarige gives me instant headache, right in the middle of the sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love paperwhites, I wish I had got around to planting some. Christian Dior Poison makes me feel thoroughly nauseas. x

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.