Monday, November 10, 2008

Dandelions

In 2002 I wrote the following, as an introduction to an essay inspired by a visit to France, and about eating off the land in a modest way:

I want to corrupt the American lawn.

I want to take the strait-laced lawn of the suburbs and wet its lips with Martini-juice. I want to run my fingers through the middle-parted, morning-combed turf of the Long Island mansions and stir a longing in its loins. I want to take the working class grass square of backyards everywhere and drag silk lingerie across its stiff shoulders.

I want to introduce weeds.


And today in the City Room of the NYTimes I read this, a great little story.

2 comments:

  1. Marie,

    That was wonderful ... in praise of weeds!! We are big fans of weeds in our family: my husband, who has liver issues, takes dandelion and milk thistle (another weed!) to help support his health. Grow weeds ... yes!

    Keli'i

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.