Wednesday, October 8, 2008

October flowers: Rabdosia longituba


...aka Trumpet Spur Flower.

This was photographed just coming into bloom, from hundreds of buds, yesterday, October 6th. That's quite something. True, there seems to be a little spider mite going on (minutely cobwebby backs-of-leaves)...But to have blue in the garden in October, and in shade at that, is special. We planted them in August ( I think) and they have grown at least two feet, up and out, since then

This is a tall, loose-limbed plant. It is related to salvia, is butterfly-friendly, belongs in the woodland, and is hardy to USDA Zone 6. I will be very interested to see it in two weeks, as it is quite new to me. Another one from Glover Perennials.

4 comments:

  1. Is it still growing well in your garden? I was wondering about its self seeding tendencies and spreading. Thanks. tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina - That was a garden I designed some years ago and I have not seen it in a couple of years. So I can't say. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears to be spreading in my garden which was planted three years ago. It blooms in late September/early October in South Eastern CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you consider it invasive? I have some seeds but don't want to introduce invasives. Thanks.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.