Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day of the Locusts

Above, East 6th Street in the Village. Below, 2nd Avenue.

And Court Street, back in Cobble Hill, late afternoon...

Never exactly my favourite tree, either, but I like them in bloom, when their pea-like flowers hang down in cream bunches. I think I have bark issues.

I am going to see what the honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) pods taste like this year, though. They are edible, and remind me of tamarind pods. The black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) pods are poisonous, so I'd better be sure! Honey locusts have long thorns sticking out dangerously from the trunk and branches. Black locusts do not, but have two small thorns at the base of each leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.