Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bicycle recycler

I didn't think I would see him again. On Court Street some weeks ago I watched as this man sailed by on his roadbike loaded with bulging black trash bags stuffed with bottles and cans, destined for collection at a few cents per item.

Then I spotted him recently on Henry Street, packing one of the bags, with his wife packing her own shopping cart with the same. He then climbed very slowly onto his bike while she helped him hoist five full bags onto his back. He set off in the nice green bike lane, and she followed behind, much more sowly. He stopped for a red light at State Street and leaned with difficulty against a lightpole. As I passed I greeted him and remarked on his superior balancing skills; he gave me a rather tired smile.

He is not a young man, nor even middle-aged, and this is a hard way to earn a buck. But it is done very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.