Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mr Ryman's Blacktop

I visited Will's rooftop on the Bowery today. He asked me to help him with a design for a garden and outdoor space. Challenges: the building next door has been sold and will be turned into a twenty floor hotel. Welcome to the new Bowery (The New Museum building is all but finished a block up). The building on the other side of him is already notoriously tall and skinny. So his full sun roof will turn into deep, serious shade. Bamb-bloody-boo, I fear. I try so hard to avoid it: the cliche of cliches. Hm. Then there are all the utilities in the middle, so we'll have to bridge them. He actually doesn't want to hide them, which is quite refreshing. And, best of all, Will liked my graffiti idea for his exposed white wall. Somebody's going to have graffiti in their garden, dammit. Now to find the right street artist...

The view east - where some morning sun will still manage to peek through...

West down spring Street. Faaaar down is Balthazar...still one of my favourite streets.

Utilities. Graded deck with plexiglass risers and hidden lighting?

We climbed out of his studio window to see the deep shade roof next door, to get a feel for what his may be like soon. This is one of the pieces that will be on show at Marlborough after November 8th.

The sun caused Will to collapse. Then his pets attacked him.

9 comments:

  1. oh pleeeeeeeeeease

    what is this? is this "oh gosh, look at me...I'm so cute...I'm so spontaneous...see how I just flop down on the ground with abandon to play with my ever-so-cute dogs?"

    Or perhaps it's "I know I've been a dick in the past, but gosh I am SO likeable and SO relationship material."

    Oh wait, I guess it could be "look how fucking insecure I am because the woman I screwed over - again and again - is finally happy and has found someone she truly wants to be with and now I'm worried that I may have missed out on the best thing that ever passed my way and I just can't deal with that so I'm going to roll around on the ground and try to win her away from Superman."

    Or it could just be that I'm reading too much into this photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you rock!

    But have you considered that maybe it was a self-induced ego-triggered epilepsy attack and the pests, oh, did I just write that? the pets were giving him first-aid - or something else...

    Of course it could also have been the result of a simple flash of wisdom, and the subsequent revelation that low life forms belong near the ground...

    Or it could be that I, too, am reading too much into the photo and that he was really only throwing a tantrum.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys!

    Do I need to enable comment moderation?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. moderation? I dont know what that word means!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think it has to do with the dark ages, dictatorship and this sort of thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We-want-free-com-ments!
    We-want-free-com-ments!
    We-want-free-com-ments!

    No to moderation!!!

    Friends of 66 Square Feet united!!!

    Freedom of speech!!!

    Viva la revolucion! (ok, maybe I'm going a little far now...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. too far? eep - I just made a "we-want-free-comments" flag and was marching up and down Houston Street in support of no moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now even Estorbo is getting involved...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.